3D-Coat is the one application that has all the tools you need to take your 3D idea from a block of digital clay all the way to a production ready, fully textured organic or hard surface model.
Key features introduced in V4.8:
- Possibility to attach Smart Materials to layers!
- Smart Materials usage history.
- Possibility to change resolution of textures, attached materials will automatically be re-sampled!
- Improved Curvature calculation.
- Render scene in Renderman
- Baking Scan. Paint baking depth with brush.
- New Primitives in Retopo room: cylinder, torus, cube, ellipse, spiral, etc.
- 4K monitors support.
KEY FEATURES INTRODUCED IN 4.5:
- Physically based rendering & smart materials!
- Groups for paint layers!
- New symmetry modes!
- Seamless painting over multiple uv meshes!
- Bas-relief and undercuts now have tapering angle. Useful for 3D-printing.
- Antibump smoothing method for sculpting! Allows achieving ideally smooth surface even on a high-frequency detailing.
KEY UPDATES IN 4.5:
- Multiple paint room changes, incl. Compatibility/GGX/Blinn-phong
- shading; HDR Support for panoramas and a lot more.
- Numerous Retopo/uv/ Render Room changes, incl. Retopo with symmetry
- improved; New Retopo tool Scale implemented and a lot more.
- Multiple Sculpt room changes, incl. New style for Primitives UI;
- Constructor tool introduced; Tapering implemented and a lot more.
- Live Clay released!
- We are glad to finally release long-awaited "dynamic tessellation" Live Clay sculpting tools. With Live Clay you won‘t bother anymore about resolution of your entire object, as now you‘ll have desired level of details only where you need it:
- Interface revised!
- New style. New Iconic Look. New Start Dialog. New shaders preview
- Painting emissive and colored specular introduced
- Speed increased everywhere 3 to 10x.
- This is mostly related to Win version, Mac and Linux versions got speedup too, but Win version speedup is especially impressive!
- Painting over voxels/vertex painting introduced
- Major update of texture baking functions
- Dozens of new tools and options!
- New Spline drawing mode.
- Multiple strokes per pass, closed strokes allowed. Different radius per control point if needed (optional). Better spline preview. Progress shown. Good description in hints. Spline shapes tuned to be very nice and predictable. It allows modeling of very clean and accurate strokes with spline and pressure graph in ANY tool where it makes sense.
- Special tools for Product/Prototype modeling
- Scripting via "C++ like" Angelscript
- Possibility to retopo big meshes 10-50M and more
Paint Room changes:
- Colored specular and emissive channels introduced in ppp/mv/ptex/voxels. Use new layer blending modes to assign colored specular/emissive to some layers.
- Specular contrast to Specular modulator in Layer options for convenience.
- Magic Wand tool.
- Pencil tool. Works as in Photoshop for precise pixelated painting.
- Clone tool got major update (mv, ppp, voxels) - see how it works now
- Possibility to edit projection in external editor with higher resolution than viewport - with multiplier. The picture size will correspond to viewport size, not to the whole window size as it was before.
- Now normal map is calculated correctly for deep displacement, and seamless painting improved a lot:
- Applying masks and materials via cubemapping is now available in both - Paint and Voxels rooms.
- Two ways of calculating normals - as before or as in Maya for better compatibility.
- 3D-Coat has the most common TBN space used in most 3D-applications (Maya, Blender) - Morten Mikkelsen‘s TBN space.
- N-gons with complex shape will be correctly supported in Paint and Retopo rooms.
- Material‘s tiling can be toggled On/Off.
Voxels Room Changes:
- New spacebar menu with quick access slots.
- Vox Layer, Vox Extrude tools.
- New Fit tool to combine separate pieces that look similar but has different topology. Important to handle scan data.
- Remove undercuts tool.
- Volume preserving mode in masks painting added.
- Smooth all may work over frozen area and will work much faster. It gives a good and predictable way to smooth selected areas.
- Extrude/Flatten area in voxel surface mode done
- Surface smooth polished a lot, now it has a lot of useful options and has become a very powerful tool.
- New items in VoxTree menu: Show all, Show subtree (to make nodes visible)
- All applicable brush jitters will act in Merge tool in "On pen" mode.
- Proxy (multiresolution) may now work via decimate! It helps a lot with thin surfaces.
- New command in VoxTree - Split with... to split one volume with another one into two parts. It works for both modes - surface and voxels.
- In Move/Pose/Transform tools you will be able to modify voxels and retopo simultaneously (optionally)
- Pressing SHIFT while dragging transform tool allows to move only gizmo as if "Move only gizmo" was chosen.
- Current selected point in Curves tool will be highlighted when you edit points.
Retopo & UV Room Changes:
- Models palette is now available in Retopo room to be merged directly in the retopo room. Retopo layers may be dragged to that palette.
- Retopo->Export groups for exporting group as separate file.
- Faces extrude tool in face selection mode
- Automatic vertex/edge/face selection in Select tool. Double-click will select connective area.
- Selection is additive now. Use CTRL+D or ESC or click outside the retopo mesh to deselect.
- Add/Split Quads may work in free space too if you attaching polygons to existing geometry.
- General Retopo settings moved to Menu line to save space.
- Points&Faces tool got set of improvements:
1) possibility to assign another tool with CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT
2) possibility to create quads only
3) possibility to work in free space
- UV improvement - you may select multiple UV islands, copy via CTRL+C, select one island of similar topology and use CTRL+V to put them on each other.
- Auto seams will act on current group only.
- Possibility to specify distance between UV islands when packing.
- Retopo opacity may now be varied, other UV-sets are visible too (more transparent).
- Render quality (shadows, transparency, wireframe) improved!
- Essentially updated Presets system!
- Important change! "Ignore backfaces" works based on Z-Buffer, not on normals direction. It makes possible to work correctly over multilayered structures correctly (i.e. thin pants).
- Brush Curve Editor
- Direct uploading to sketchfab.com and verold.com
- Masks preview for cubemapping (while navigating)
- E-mode circle/lasso/rectangle/spline etc will work closer to PS style - SPACE+LMB will move the whole shape.
- E-mode improvements: new modes for square and circle instead of SHIFT+Drag because SHIFT conflicts with other modes.
- Recangle & Circle modes will show dimensions in orthographic mode with real world values, SPACE allows to enter numbers.
- Camera position will be stored in 3b file
- C++ like script language (angelscript) is introduced. It allows you to perform batch actions, create macro commands and interactive tutorials. It has very basic functionality now and will be extended upon request. C++ like scripting chosen because of speed, possibility to include good scripts directly into 3D-Coat‘s engine.
- New UI global feature - if you are changing something, instead of dragging mouse manually you may press SPACE and enter an exact numerical value. Space now has a double action - usually choose tool, but in tools where you pressed a mouse button and drag something, it allows entering precise values. It is applied to gizmos, primitives and split ring tool in Retopo room.
- Collada (dae) import-export support.
- Arrows now can be used for navigation.
- To global space modified, To uniform space introduced.
- More graphic tablets/manufacturers supported now.
- Toggle fullscreen in View menu.
- Transform improved, now pivot points will be transformed together with child objects, in so way posing of chunked objects becomes very easy. Obj files export/import will store/restore pivot point.
- Invert tool action now has the option to assign a hotkey, this checkbox added to Paint room also.
- All tools are more consistent when used with the E-panel, unusable E-modes are hidden now for each tool.
- Important export option for real production - DXF export of UV islands contours for further laser cutting in real scales. In this way you may retopo an object, map it, export and cut it from leather, acrylic or plastic.
- Depth/opacity/radius may now be defined as a function (curve) of pen pressure.